How Does A Christian Deal With Adversity?

As a Christian, the joy of knowing your sins are forgiven and that you have a home in heaven is often met with the daily reality that life on this side of heaven is just plain difficult.  It can be anything from lack of funds to pay bills, to sickness, to working with antagonistic people.  What should the Christian do to help himself overcome the adversity?  Here are some things from Scripture that I have found helpful as I battle adversity in my life. 

    When Trouble Comes
  1. Remember that you live in a sin cursed world--everything and everyone is affected by sin (Romans 5:12; Romans 8:18-22).
  2. Remember that God is in control--nothing happens to you as a Christian unless it comes through the will of God (Job 1:1-22; Psalm 25:10; Psalm 23:1-6; Romans 8:28-30).
  3. Remember that the Devil prowls about like a roaring lion (1 Peter 5: 6-10).
  4. Remember that you wrestle not against flesh and blood--if things are causing you adversity as you seek to serve Christ righteously, remember that most likely behind the scenes spiritual warfare is going on (Ephesians 6:10-18; Romans 16:20).
  5. Remember that Christ over came the world (John 16:33; Luke 24:26-28).
Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. Psalms 119:49-50
I hope these verses help you as they often help me as I deal with adversity in my own life in trying to serve the Lord in a sin-cursed world.  I included a link to Jim Berg's Book, "When Trouble Comes" that you may find as a resource if you are going through some troublesome times right now.

Rev. Steve
Psalm 119:89

    Popular Posts